I had a childhood mentor that left me with a desire to mentor the underprivileged and encourage them to achieve more than they think possible. My socio-economic background and strong commitment to education motivate me to enable others, but especially those underrepresented in academics. I strive to empower students through education, mentoring, and leadership. By using a participatory approach to education, I am committed to creating an atmosphere respective of diversity where everyone has an equal learning opportunity. I sincerely believe that a quality education must be accessible to everyone, without exception.
My interdisciplinary background is evidenced by an A.S. degree in Engineering; a B.S. in Biology; an interdisciplinary M.S. in Environmental Science & Policy; and an interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Hydrology. By integrating my diverse experience and interdisciplinary academic background with the diverse experiences of my students, we maximize the benefits of a participatory approach to education. We will learn from each other and the nature of the participatory education process will draw from their cultural and life experiences which will help them to retain classroom concepts and better understand the applicability of our lessons to their lives.
University Teaching Experience
- Introduction to Environmental Sciences (ENV 101), Northern Arizona Univ., Teaching Assistant (1 section)
- Fundamentals of Environmental Sciences (ENV 230), Northern Arizona Univ., Teaching Assistant (10 sections)
- Physical and Chemical Processes in the Environment (ENV 280), Northern Arizona Univ., Teaching Assistant (2 sections)
- Applications of Environmental Sciences (ENV 380), Northern Arizona Univ., Teaching Assistant (1 section)
- Conservation Biology (ENV 540), Northern Arizona Univ., Teaching Assistant (1 section)
Other Teaching Experience
- Professional development workshops, University of Alaska Fairbanks (2013 – 2014)
- Gardening workshops, University of Alaska Fairbanks Community Garden (2012 & 2013)
- Volunteer educator, Environment and Learning Day, Fairbanks, AK (2010)
- Guest Lecturer – Fundamentals of Environmental Science (2007)
- Volunteer educator, Nature Day, Stillwater, OK (2004)
- Science fair judge, Flagstaff AZ (2001 & 2002) and Fairbanks, AK (2010-2014)